This recipe came together from an intense pasta craving and an abundance of basil in my garden. Plus, I knew this recipe would last the whole week - so I had the perfect excuse to eat pasta on the daily.
Please excuse the measurements as this was created on the fly and I could also never give someone an exact garlic measurement - garlic can only be measured from the heart!
Ingredients (it's a long list - as I had a heap of veges to use up in my fridge)
- 2 cups of spelt spiral pasta (or whatever pasta you have on hand)
- 1 jar of pesto (or if you feel inspired - check out our hemp pesto recipe)
- 6 cup mushrooms - cut into 8ths
- 1 zucchini - roughly chopped
- 1/2 small head of broccoli - roughly chopped
- 4 (+) cloves of garlic- finely chopped
- 1 pack of vine-ripened cherry or snacking tomatoes (approximately 250 grams)
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 200g of feta cheese (dairy-free options available) - cut into cubes
- Rocket or Spinach - to serve with as a side
- Drizzle of hemp seed oil
- 1 tablespoon of hulled hemp seeds
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions - drain and set aside
- In the same saucepan that you cooked the pasta in (because dishes), add a little oil before adding in the mushrooms. Toss in the saucepan for a couple of minutes before adding a dash of water and popping the lid on to steam.
- After a couple of minutes, add in the zucchini, broccoli and garlic. Allow to lightly steam
- Remove the lid and stir in the pesto and chickpeas
- Add the tomatoes and allow the mix to heat until you see the skins of the tomatoes start to burst
- Remove from heat and toss in olives, feta and pasta
- There should be enough pesto to lightly cover everything - but if not you may want to add a little water to make it into more of a "sauce"
- Allow to cool and divide into 5 containers, add a handful of rocket to the side of each container.
- Drizzle with hemp seed oil and a sprinkle of hulled hemp seeds